Want to join? We'd love to have you! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for availability and more information.
HERBALISM AND NUTRITION
THE GROWHAUS ~ DENVER
A six week Herbalism and Nutrition workshop with Selkskin partner: Cristóbal Roberto
When? Spring or summer 2016 TBD
ABSORBING NUTRIENTS WITH LACTO-FERMENTATION
Details: If you're in Boulder we will make fermented foods!
SPROUTED: GRAINS, LEGUMES, AND NUTS/SEEDS
cultivate vitality with bio-AVAILABLE nutrients
Details: If you're in the Boulder area I will demonstrate how to sprout foods and you will start your own alfalfa sprouts and take them home!
We will also taste my sprouted cashew hummus, sprouts, and dehydrated nuts/seeds.
Details: If you're on the Vineyard the other details are the same as above. I had so much fun last time I am excited to see you again!
AS YOU CAN SEE TAVI LOVES HER FERMENTED PICKLE! KAILA, HER MOTHER, ALSO ENJOYED THE FERMENTED FOODS WORKSHOP:
"Amelia is an incredibly dynamic teacher, full of light and life. She empowers her students by guiding them gently through the science our our bodies, and inspires us to make change through her positive energy and enthusiasm. In one workshop I learned what I feel every human should learn in 1st grade: it's not only what we eat, but how we feel about what we eat. How incredible to know that force feeding spinach will not do any good! The nutrients are just waiting for our minds, our hearts and our stomachs to align. I have an entirely new approach to eating - seeking enjoyment, embracing health, finding balance. Thank you Amelia!"
~ Kaila Binney, M.Ed. with a concentration in Educating for Sustainability. Kaila works with the Island Grown Schools on Martha's Vineyard and is currently the IGS coordinator for the MV Regional High School and the Oak Bluffs Elementary School. She has also led adult education programs at the FARM Institute on Martha's Vineyard.
- Sprouting grains, legumes, and nuts makes the nutrients more bio-available
- Easy to digest
- Folate and vitamins C, A, & B
- Protein content, cancer protection (especially from broccoli sprouts)
- Amino acid content
- Aids minerals absorption: iron, calcium, and zinc
- Starches easily converted into simple carbohydrates - “easier to digest”
- Reduces some allergens (wheat/grains)
- Germination of a seed into a plant
- Can be eaten raw, steamed, or cooked
- Can be dehydrated to make flours, nut snacks, and alternative meals
“It may seem strange to us that, in earlier times, people knew how to preserve vegetables for long periods without the use of freezers or canning machines. This was done through the process of lacto-fermentation. Lactic acid is a natural preservative that inhibits putrefying bacteria. Starches and sugars in vegetables and fruits are converted into lactic acid by the many species of lactic-acid-producing bacteria.” ~ Sally Fallon
- Makes vitamins and minerals bio-available because it is predigested
- Produces vitamins K, B6, B12
- Lactobacilli from lactic-acid - produce enzymes, antibiotic, and anti-carcinogenic substances
- The ancient Greeks, Asian cuisines, and people who ate the traditional diets of their ancestors preserved veggies
- The benefits of the veggies increases with this method
More on herbalism, fermenting foods, and sprouting grains, legumes, and nuts/seeds COMING SOON in various locations all over the usa!